2026 Weather Thread

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, Des Moines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa
GenX
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1235
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:16 am
Location: Omaha

Re: 2026 Weather Thread

Post by GenX »

Cermak wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2026 5:01 pm Apparently last nights storm was remnants of hurricane Polo. I also had water seeping into my garage from cracks in the floor with is partially below grade. .
I hope someone will correct me, but I can’t recall Omaha ever getting hit with tropical remnants, especially from the Pacific.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2026 Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

GenX wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2026 8:04 pm
Cermak wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2026 5:01 pm Apparently last nights storm was remnants of hurricane Polo. I also had water seeping into my garage from cracks in the floor with is partially below grade. .
I hope someone will correct me, but I can’t recall Omaha ever getting hit with tropical remnants, especially from the Pacific.
I think ive heard of others making it here, but yeah, coming from the pacific is different.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: 2026 Weather Thread

Post by Louie »

Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2026 8:20 pm
GenX wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2026 8:04 pm
Cermak wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2026 5:01 pm Apparently last nights storm was remnants of hurricane Polo. I also had water seeping into my garage from cracks in the floor with is partially below grade. .
I hope someone will correct me, but I can’t recall Omaha ever getting hit with tropical remnants, especially from the Pacific.
I think ive heard of others making it here, but yeah, coming from the pacific is different.
Yeah, I remember getting rain from Katrina, but from a Pacific storm...that might be a first.
User avatar
remline
Library Board
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2024 4:38 pm

Re: 2026 Weather Thread

Post by remline »

The Omadome has been officially busted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
zedmib
Home Owners Association
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:50 pm

Re: 2026 Weather Thread

Post by zedmib »

Seeing lots of flooding reports.
51st and Center (south end of Saddle Creek rd)
70th and Q. Winchester Bar had water to the top of the door frame. (my goto karaoke place!)
67 and Center, Aksarben village and Baxter Arena.
HWY 370 from 36th street and east from there.
To my recollection this is the first time a Pacific hurricane had such direct impact here. Several from the Gulf have swung up this far in my life time.
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036604
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2026 Weather Thread

Post by Brad »

zedmib wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 2:16 am To my recollection this is the first time a Pacific hurricane had such direct impact here. Several from the Gulf have swung up this far in my life time.
I heard someone say that a typical low pressure system was coming though and collected the hurricane's moisture and drug it up here more than a normal system.
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2334
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm

Re: 2026 Weather Thread

Post by Cermak »

As far as I know my house had never had any water issues before this storm and I’ve lived in my house for over 30 years. it had always stayed dry during major storms. This one I got water in the garage and basement. No huge amount or damage but enough for concern. This storm was definitely different and pushed any water barrier around my house to its absolute limit . The fact that the ground was already saturated before this storm even started probably played a big role as well. Hopefully this isn’t the new normal, and was a freakish rare event. Let’s hope.
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: 2026 Weather Thread

Post by OverlookedFarm »

Rode around the Zorinsky last night. You can't make it all the way around the path because it is underwater in several areas.

156th north of F is washed out on one lane near the dam outlet, which is why it was closed.
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2334
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm

Re: 2026 Weather Thread

Post by Cermak »

Finally getting some nice fall weather. It’s been nice since Friday and looks to continue. October is usually one of Omahas best weather months.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4352
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: 2026 Weather Thread

Post by thenewguy »

looks like the next couple days are gonna be the last warm ones and then gradually getting cooler by the end of next week. KETV shows one day with a high in the 50's and lows in the lower 40's. I'm glad it's not sweltering, but i don't know that i'm quite ready for what may be a really cruddy winter.
Go Cubs Go
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6014
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: 2026 Weather Thread

Post by nativeomahan »

Cermak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:36 am As far as I know my house had never had any water issues before this storm and I’ve lived in my house for over 30 years. it had always stayed dry during major storms. This one I got water in the garage and basement. No huge amount or damage but enough for concern. This storm was definitely different and pushed any water barrier around my house to its absolute limit . The fact that the ground was already saturated before this storm even started probably played a big role as well. Hopefully this isn’t the new normal, and was a freakish rare event. Let’s hope.
I have lived in my home since I was a child (I bought my childhood home from my mother), so I’ve weathered (pun intended) quite a few big rain storms in 6+ decades. Our home is close to the top of a hill so we very seldom see water in our basement. Well, our luck ran out with this one. Many of our neighbors down the hill fared worse, but we had carpeting in one finished basement room soaked and in need of removal. We used the room for storage of all sorts of things we foolishly thought we might need at some time in the future. Several carefully sealed cardboard boxes filled with books and other items now sit in a dumpster awaiting removal to their final resting place.
My 91 year old master gardener neighbor told me his rain gauge overflowed after 6”. That would make it the second or third heaviest one day soaking my mid city neighborhood has seen in my memory. The fact that this storm emanated from a Pacific hurricane is novel. Not sure if it’s a one-off or the start of a new trend. Thank you very much, climate change.